Friday, February 20, 2004

Today was anExpensive


Today was an expensive day.

OZ Racing Superleggara wheels are the thing to have in the RGB series because they are extremely strong and amazingly light, coming in at under 5 Kilos per wheel. Unfortunately they are also very rare in 15inch sizes, I have heard horror stories of people waiting for 6-9 months for a set.

It appears OZ have decided to make a wheel that is very desirable for club racers but only to make reasonable quantities of the 16 inch and above sizes which are too big for club racing.... typical. While chatting to Tim Pell I asked where he had sourced his wheels and he recommended Motorsport Wheels. So on the off chance I rang them and gave them my required size 15x7 Ford PCD ET42 offset, and miracle of miracles they had a set on the shelf in Anthracite colour. Needless to say I bit their hands off and ordered them on the spot, they even very kindly gave me a 20% discount. I had previously planned to leave the purchase to the end of the build but a bird in the hand etc. They should arrive on Monday.

The total still came to £450+....Gulp!

Now fired with a passion for all things round I thought I ought to get some rubber sorted out for these shiny new rims. The RGB series mandates the use of Yokohama A048Rs and guess what...... these are rarer than unobtainium too. In fact there has been an ongoing discussion on the RGB racers website on the subject, so it was with some trepidation that I rang George Polley motorsport.

Well it looks like the rubber famine is over, George can get me 4 195/55/15 A048Rs for next week. So again more biting of hands followed and my wallet was another 350 quid lighter. I think I need a lie down, but by next weekend the car will be rolling on it's own wheels. I just hope I get the car finished in time to use them in action this year

No comments: