Thursday, February 19, 2004

Tim shows me up - again!

Today or rather tonight, I was around Tim's garage. Tim is a fellow CAM7ner who is also building a RGB racer for the 750MC series, although he is building a Fury powered by a Fireblade engine and will run in class C. I was there to return his engine hoist and help him to fit his drive shafts into the Freelander diff on the Fury. Tim's only had his Fury chassis for about two weeks and he's already nearly at rolling chassis stage, I've had my rolling chassis for nearly two months and I seem to making very very slow progress, a salutary lesson in "get ya finger out" for me and a great achievement for him.

Anyway on the plus side I did manage to have a squint a Tim's Fireblade exhaust clamps. Tim Pell supplied me with an exhaust with my car the but the clamps which hold the headers into the ports on the cylinder head were missing. It turns out that these things are quite difficult to source because on the original bike down pipes they are integral to the unit, or at least can't be removed without cutting up the pipes.

Therefore bike breakers won't cut up a good set of pipes so that I can have the clamps, but if the pipes are damaged they just get stuck in a skip. Either way I can't have the clamps. I've been having such problems that I'd even started to produce a DXF drawing so I could get some laser cut by a local engineering shop. Well I took the opportunity to measure the clamps on Tim's exhaust and it turns out that a Fireblade's exhaust mounts are identical to those on a ZX12R. So I've placed an order with Martin at the Kitcarworkshop and hopefully I can start thinking about fitting the exhaust next week.

Also today I received the entry forms for all the RGB races this year from the 750 Motor club.... now it's really starting to hit home I'm going racing!

No comments: