Saturday, February 14, 2004

Finishing the Dash + Fuel Tank Mods


Today and in fact earlier in the week I have sprayed the new dash satin black and permanently fitted the switchgear and DigiDash unit.



I've even labelled the switches so that the unit now looks like this, it's now ready for the wiring to be installed, and then to be fitted to the car.







Much of this morning was spent stripping the bodywork off the car again, and then going over it with a big bucket of Tetraclean in an attempt to get rid of the greasy oily film that covers it from front head to toe. This has been 80% completed (I just need to do the rear suspension and diff carrier as I ran out of Tetraclean at this stage.

This afternoon, however was spent on a much more fruitful activity.


You may remember this! Which is the remains of the old fuel tank after I had cut it in half and removed it from the car. It was much, much too big and had a hole it which connected directly to the engine bay, and through which ran the gear change linkage .


Well it now looks like this. After leaving the fully rinsed out tank outside in the garden for a couple of weeks to vent any remaining petrol vapour it was time to convert to a more appropriate size. As can be seen from the pictures I basically cut the tank in half and removed the section with the gearshift hole.


I then cut,shaped and fitted a new plate for the left hand end, by this time I was getting a little tired so I decided to call it a day and complete the tank's transformation on Sunday.

No comments: