Thursday, April 19, 2007

Sump and Sprockets


At last I seem to be taking two steps forward and only one step backwards. Firstly I've fitted the baffle plate to the engine. That was a straightforward if messy process, because there is no such thing as a sump gasket on a CB1000RR and the sump flanges are sealed using blue gasket compound. When you fit a baffle plate you have too make two gooey gaskets (one on each side) in this manner. Still it was pretty straight forward. While I had the sump off I also fitted a new cap to the swinging sump which Graeme at Nova had made up for me (apparently it needed a 3 degree undercut on the connection tube and this had been missed on the original), and I also checked that it was indeed possible to remove the oil filter despite the close proximity of the exhausts. It's fiddly but possible.

When I collected the sump bit I also collected two new rear drive sprockets that Graeme had also made me . I now had a range of 34,35, 36 teeth at the rear which when coupled with some 14,15,16,17 front sprocket give me a diff range of 2.9 to 3.9 in 10% increments.

So a week of moderate success for once.

No comments: