Wednesday, April 04, 2007

The Critical Path to getting out at Lydden

I'm really up against it now if I'm going to get the car out at the next meeting at Lydden Hill in Kent. I'm on holiday this week finishing off a few jobs around the house and trying to get the car finished

The major issue is brakes. The swap to class B and hence to 14"x 6 wheels has caused several problems, not least of which is the modification of brake rotors, brackets and callipers. I've made some progress on the front disks. I'm using AP racing rotors and ali mounting bells. As previosuly posted I'd modified the front calliper mounts to get the calipers under the new wheels. However I now have a second problem in that the combination of new bells and the existing calliper mounts means that the rotors aren't running centrally in the pad grooves, I need a 2.5 mm ouboard offset of the disk. Previously I've tried resolving this with washers between the hub and the disk, but this simply caused unacceptable runout on the rotors. The solution is to place a small spacer between the hub (and disk) and the bearings in the hub. I'll be getting some of these made up this week by Dave Turner. Yes you've guessed it another Cam7 mate.

Dave is also modifying my existing rear calliper brackets to allow me to use the Wilwood handbrake callipers. Of much more concern are the rear disks. Hi spec are making these up for me to 260mm diameter. So the most crucial component on the critical path is delivery of these disks. If they don't arrive before I go on holiday, my chances of making Lydden will be non existant.

Dave Ts does me a big favour and has turned the parts around quickly, and I've today collected a bag of nicely machined Ali callipers brackets and spacers. Top work and all for the price of a couple of curries.

No comments: