Sunday, February 18, 2007

Dift Mounted on New Ali plates

The new laser cut 8mm NS4 alluminium differential mounting plates turned up from Peterborough Laser cut today. so this weekend was spent mounting the diff in it's final position. Here I must credit Dave Turner a mate from Cam7 who spent a lot of time refining my original diff mounting plates drawings. Dave performed a bunch of finite element an analysis (FEA) on these mounting plates. His work allowed me to reduce the plates from those which were 15mm thick and required expensive machining from billet aluminium, down to plates just 8mm thick which could be cheaply cut from flat plate by the guys at Peterborough Laser Cut.

The Diff plates are still awaiting the chain tension adjusters (which Dave T is also machining for me).The small ears close to the rear of the plates are for bolting to brackets which will be welded to the transverse chassis member and provide lateral stability for the whole assembly.

With the diff mounted I could also finalise the engine bay signal wiring, the position of the oil pressure sensor, and all the electrical connections. The engine bay is now beginning to look very neat and complete.

This weekend I mounted the power Commander which I had imported from America and saved over £100 on it's UK purchase cost.


The only fly in the ointment was that I had it confirmed that my new driveshafts will not be here in time for next weeks appointment at Tony Law. So I've had to post pone this to the 6th March. This makes it highly improbable that I'll make the race that I was aiming for on the 25th March. Right nowI'm constantly being promised they'll be here in a couple of days and sent out immediately... but I've heard that at least three times now :-(

No comments: