Monday, February 12, 2007

Coolant System Completed

Time is rapidly running out now. So it is imperative I crack on with the car. So this weekend I got the entire cooling system completed. As part of this process I cut the center out of the thermostat. I couldn't remove it completely as it has the rubber sealing ring that stops the thermostat housting leaking around its circumference. Cutting just the center out also leaves a slighly restricted hole which Andy Bates at AB Performance assures me is required to ensure that the water doesn't flow too quickly through the head. If the flow rate is too high not enough heat is transferred to the water as it passes though the head and overheating can be a problem.

As part of this process I also removed the old electric coolant pump (another Kilo out of the car )and directly connected the coolant lines to water pump on the side of the engine . Here I managed to use the stock aluminium pipes and hoses from the original engine, this is always a good idea because it is then easy to get replacements (although at a cost) from Mr Honda.
I also re mounted the coolant header tank, to this I fitted a splash guard to ensure that any over flow water does not hit the ECU which is now mounted directly behind it due to cabling limitations. While in the engine bay I also tidied up and bound up the engine bay wiring, and found a permanent site for the exhaust control valve which cannot be removed if the ECU is not to throw a warning code.
I'm really starting to get worried that I will not make my booked appointement on Monday 19th Feb at Tony Law exhausts. I need the diff & dry shafts and engine bay pretty much completed before I can take it to Tony as the exhaust must be routed around all these possible obstructions. At the moment the driveshafts do not look like they'll arrive in time.

No comments: