Thursday, March 20, 2008

First Race of the Season - Not

After the carnage of the chain jumping in testing I didn't have much time to get the car ready for the first race of the season.... so some midnight oil was burned.

The other thing Dave Turner does is teach production engineering evening classes and I've been attending "Big Oily Toys Classes" for a while.  so when I examined the diff after the failure at Snett it was obvious that the problem is that the bearing carriers are just two thin in cross section.  this allowed them to twist out of alignment due to the poor shimming.. and carnage resulted.

So using new found skills learned in Evening class and my new Lathe, I made a couple of much more substantial bearing carriers out of some Ali billet... bolted the car together, shovelled out a couple of handfuls of  aluminium swarf, fitted a new sprocket and chain and off we went to Snett to race.

Except we didn't!  Horizontal wind blown rain meant that the meeting was cancelled, and will be rescheduled until June... "Oh Dear" we all said in our best anglo saxon.... in fact many of us were whispering "Thankyou" when Viv Ayres the Clark of the Course made the call to cancel it and saved us from ourselves.

So I've still never raced at Snetterton arguably my home track.

No comments: