Saturday, October 14, 2006

Progress Swinging Sump for Next Year

Today I popped over to see Nova Engineering. And had a good chat with Graeme about the CBR 1000 RR swinging sump system that I'll be using next year. A couple of useful pieces of information emerged. The first is that he would really like to be able to identify the sump pickup position during use this would require some sort of remote sensing application that watched the position of the pickup from outside the sump pan. Maybe a hall effect or magnetically driven sensor fitted to the outside of the sump (or a series of them at key locations. I don’t know id this is possible, but I’ll ask my electronic engineer mates on Cam7 to see if they have an easy solution that could be used. I suppose the key criteria are that it is light, tolerant of heat, easy to fit and cheap. Hmm not a difficulttset of design criteria then.

The other piece of information was that it looks like the GP sidecar boys will next year also be swapping to a CBR 1000 RR engines…. Or so the paddock gossip goes. The swinging pickup sump assemble is coming on nicely and should be ready in the next couple of weeks, which is handy as that is just after the Birkett and I’ll be looking at fitting the new engine in that timeframe.

No comments: